Arquen House is an impressive Victorian brick and stone building located in the heart of the Historic conservation area of St. Albans. The Rose Window has a view of the Cathedral and Abbey Church of St. Albans and its Gateway.
The Abbey Gateway is the only remaining building of the Abbey of St. Albans built in 1365.
Arquen House is located a few steps along historic George Street from the Clock Tower. The Clock Tower, built between 1403 and 1412, is one of only two medieval belfries remaining in England. The Clock Tower was a political statement enabling the town to sound its own hours and until 1863 the curfew. The Bell was also used to raise the alarm in case of ‘fire or fray’. Its bell rang out for the first battle of St. Albans during the war of the roses in 1455.
Images of Arquen House are reproduced with the kind permission of Palmers of St. Albans.